Cosmos caudatus Powder
This product was developed from the ulam raja (Cosmos caudatus) plant. The plant was blended into juices and spray dried into powder form. The formulation was based on the antioxidant and polyphenol content testing. The product development was based on the highest antioxidant and total phenolic content among selected ulams in the market.
INSPIRATION OF THE INVENTION
This product could reduce oxidative stress which could lead to improvement in brain activation and global cognitive function as well as mood status.
PROBLEM STATEMENT & CURRENT ISSUES
The National Health Morbidity Survey (2015) reported that 30.5% of aging adults experienced poor mental health and cognitive status. Aging adults are at high risk of neurodegenerative diseases and poor mental health.
INVENTIVENESS & NOVELTY
- This is the first study investigates the effects of Cosmos caudatus supplement to improve cognitive function, brain activation and mood status.
- This product was developed from the local plant ulam raja (Cosmos caudatus) which is high in antioxidants and polyphenols.
- This invention was based on sound scientific methodologies to confirm the potential health benefits of this product.
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
Easily consumed by individuals at risk of neurodegenerative diseases, probably due to poor intake, low access and dislike the taste of local ulams and swallowing problems in older adults.
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
- Trigger health promotions of CC consumption that could also consequently lead to the population’s healthier lifestyle.
- Improve quality of life.
- Reduce risk of contracting neurodegenerative diseases and lowering healthcare costs related to the disease burden.
- Create a ‘Knowledge-Economy’, of which knowledge would lead to plantations and agricultural industry related to traditional vegetable or ulam, thus increase the income of the nation, and further reduce poverty.
Pharmaceutical and nutraceutical industries.
TRL : 5
Project Leader : Prof. Dr. Suzana Shahar
Co-Researcher : Prof. Dr. Nor Fadilah Rajab, Prof. Dr. Mohamad Yusof Maskat, Prof. Madya. Dr. Hasnah Haron, Prof Madya Dr. Normah Che Din, Dr. Hanis Mastura Yahya, Dr. Mazlyfarina Mohamad, Dr. You Yee Xing
Dept./Fac./Inst : H-Care, Faculty of Health Sciences
Expertise : Geriatric nutrition and functional food
TP 3-in-1™ Fruit Juice Drink
TP 3-in-1™ is an innovation involves a specially formulated beverage consists of a mixture of tropical fruits with a therapeutic dosage of polyphenols to prevent risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Recovery of High-Purity and High-Value Sialic Acid
This invention recovers the high-value sialic acids from edible bird’s nest (EBN) processing by-products, through enzymatic hydrolysis, and acid hydrolysis. The technology has been patented
Production of Water-Soluble Elastin Peptide Powder
Introducing water-soluble elastin peptide powder from poultry skin, a novel functional ingredient with excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive characteristics for the use in the production of functional food and drinks, anti-aging cosmetics industry, pharmaceutical and regenerative medicine.
Elastin, a structural, highly cross-linked, insoluble protein is found primarily in connective tissues and normally extracted from bovine neck ligaments, pig's aorta and mouse lungs. As Malaysia is largely self sufficient in Halal poultry meat production, we therefore explored different techniques to extract elastin from this new, Halal source of elastin coming from chicken skin waste and had successfully found the best method of extraction which is non-enzymatic, economical and involved the least chemical and time of extraction. The purity and quality characteristics of the resultant elastin powder were also proven to be comparable to that commercially available elastin from bovine neck ligament with evidence of excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive benefits. To our knowledge, this is the first report on elastin extraction from poultry skin.