Module for Edible Bird’s Nest (EBN)
There are a total of 4 modules, both in English and Mandarin, and 4 teaching kits, making a total of 12 copyrights. The modules are of the following topics:
- Science of Edible Bird’s Nest
- Preparation of Edible Bird’s Nest filling
- Basic Hand Made Chocolate Module
- Preparation of Cordial Beverage
INSPIRATION OF THE INVENTION
These modules and teaching kits were developed to educate industries, entrepreneur and consumers on the Edible Bird’s Nest (EBN), and to introduce potential product development from EBN.
PROBLEM STATEMENT & CURRENT ISSUES
Information on EBN are available everywhere, and very diverse. However, the overload of information makes it difficult for stakeholders to get the accurate and suitable information needed.
INVENTIVENESS & NOVELTY
- These modules provide a one-stop information on the science of Edible Bird’s Nest, simple enough for laymen to understand, yet having the depth to improve knowledge of stakeholders.
- The modules are also sequential, where after learning about the science of EBN, the subsequent module teaches about the production of EBN filling, to be used in chocolate and beverage development and processing.
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
- The modules is useful to educate stakeholders through interesting write-ups and diagrams which are easy to follow.
- It could be used by EBN industry to attract collaborators and customers to understand the science of EBN and the developed products.
- The modules could be taught hands-on through the facilities available at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) Food Pilot Plant.
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
These modules are developed by subject matter experts from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, thus having accurate and reliable information.
The potential hands-on training program increases the impact of the modules, where trainees can get the experience of producing EBN fillings and have them used in hand made chocolate as well as cordial beverage.
- EBN and EBN products manufacturing industry
- Tourism industry
- Education industry
TRL : 8
Project Leader : Dr Lim Seng Joe
Co-researcher : Prof Dr Abdul Salam Babji, Prof Dr Mohamad Yusof Maskat, Dr Noor Soffalina Sofian Seng
Dept./Fac./Inst : Department of Food Sciences, Faculty of Science and Technology
Expertise : Functional Food and Ingredients
TP 3-in-1™ Fruit Juice Drink
TP 3-in-1™ is an innovation involves a specially formulated beverage consists of a mixture of tropical fruits with a therapeutic dosage of polyphenols to prevent risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Recovery of High-Purity and High-Value Sialic Acid
This invention recovers the high-value sialic acids from edible bird’s nest (EBN) processing by-products, through enzymatic hydrolysis, and acid hydrolysis. The technology has been patented
Production of Water-Soluble Elastin Peptide Powder
Introducing water-soluble elastin peptide powder from poultry skin, a novel functional ingredient with excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive characteristics for the use in the production of functional food and drinks, anti-aging cosmetics industry, pharmaceutical and regenerative medicine.
Elastin, a structural, highly cross-linked, insoluble protein is found primarily in connective tissues and normally extracted from bovine neck ligaments, pig's aorta and mouse lungs. As Malaysia is largely self sufficient in Halal poultry meat production, we therefore explored different techniques to extract elastin from this new, Halal source of elastin coming from chicken skin waste and had successfully found the best method of extraction which is non-enzymatic, economical and involved the least chemical and time of extraction. The purity and quality characteristics of the resultant elastin powder were also proven to be comparable to that commercially available elastin from bovine neck ligament with evidence of excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive benefits. To our knowledge, this is the first report on elastin extraction from poultry skin.