- Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease commonly experienced by the elderly.
- Joint inflammation plays a role in the development of osteoarthritis.
- Tocotrienol with its anti-inflammatory properties could suppress the development of osteoarthritis at its early stage.
- Tocotrienol was shown to protect cartilage deterioration and lower circulating cartilage markers in rats with osteoarthritis.
INSPIRATION OF THE INVENTION
- The mother of the inventors are affected by osteoarthritis. She could not enjoy long walks during the evening and travelling on foot. That strips her off the joys of her life.
- Conventional supplements like glucosamine sulfate cannot ease her painful and swelling joint.
PROBLEM STATEMENT & CURRENT ISSUES
- There are limited therapeutic options for osteoarthritis. Most of the current drugs aims to relieve symptoms of the patients.
- If osteoarthritis progresses, the patients may have to undergo knee joint replacement, which is a costly procedure.
INVENTIVENESS & NOVELTY
- We have established the dose and composition of tocotrienol needed to achieve joint protective effects.
- We established that underdosage and overdosage of tocotrienol may not provide the desired joint protective effects.
USEFULNESS & APPLICATION
- Tocotrienol can be marketed as nutraceuticals to prevent osteoarthritis among the elderly.
- Individuals just need to take two softgels daily to reduce the risk of osteoarthritis or the deterioration of cartilage.
IMPACT OF THE PRODUCT
- Tocotrienol can be marketed at similar price as conventional joint protective supplements like glucosamine.
- Tocotrienol can be sourced from two common plants in South East Asia and Malaysia, which is palm and annatto.
- Preventing or reducing the severity of osteoarthritis can improve the quality of life among the elderly significantly.
- By 2020, the population age more than 50 years has increased to 3.5 million. The reported prevalence of knee pain among elderly in the capital is around 30%.
- Therefore, the market for a novel nutraceutical for joint health is tremendous since it is a common condition among elderly.
TRL : 3
Project Leader : Dr. Chin Kok Yong
Co-Researcher : Prof. Dr Ima Nirwana Soelaiman, Prof Dr Sabarul Afian Mokhtar, Assoc Prof Dr Sakthiswary Rajalingham, Dr Elvy Suhana Mohd Ramli
Dept./Fac./Inst : Medicine
Expertise : Bone and joint metabolism; Vitamin E
TP 3-in-1™ Fruit Juice Drink
TP 3-in-1™ is an innovation involves a specially formulated beverage consists of a mixture of tropical fruits with a therapeutic dosage of polyphenols to prevent risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s Disease.
Recovery of High-Purity and High-Value Sialic Acid
This invention recovers the high-value sialic acids from edible bird’s nest (EBN) processing by-products, through enzymatic hydrolysis, and acid hydrolysis. The technology has been patented
Production of Water-Soluble Elastin Peptide Powder
Introducing water-soluble elastin peptide powder from poultry skin, a novel functional ingredient with excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive characteristics for the use in the production of functional food and drinks, anti-aging cosmetics industry, pharmaceutical and regenerative medicine.
Elastin, a structural, highly cross-linked, insoluble protein is found primarily in connective tissues and normally extracted from bovine neck ligaments, pig's aorta and mouse lungs. As Malaysia is largely self sufficient in Halal poultry meat production, we therefore explored different techniques to extract elastin from this new, Halal source of elastin coming from chicken skin waste and had successfully found the best method of extraction which is non-enzymatic, economical and involved the least chemical and time of extraction. The purity and quality characteristics of the resultant elastin powder were also proven to be comparable to that commercially available elastin from bovine neck ligament with evidence of excellent antioxidative and antihypertensive benefits. To our knowledge, this is the first report on elastin extraction from poultry skin.